Sunday, July 15, 2007

Who's Afraid of Getting Bulky?

That Ol' Excuse of Getting Bulky

We've surely heard someone say that they do NOT want to lift weights because it would make them too bulky. (Have you used that excuse yourself?) Makes for a good excuse to not even get started, right?

Look, if you are a woman this plain is not going to happen. Something like less than 1% of the female population have the inherit ability to end up looking like the Incredible Hunk. Maybe we'll end up looking like Xena and what's wrong with that!! :)

A co-worker asked me just last week if I wasn't afraid of getting bulky. I know I surprised her when I said that I have been weightlifting for over 4 years now and I didn't consider myself bulky. I even flexed a good bicep for her just to show off. She was surprised that I actually hadn't bulked up and even had some decent definition to my muscles.

Why does this stupid myth and lame excuse still hang around? Heck, I'd rather be bulky than fat any day!!! However, when we hear that excuse doesn't sound like what they are really saying is that they'd rather be fat than bulky?

Truth of the matter is, it's just a convenient excuse. It's far easier to come up with excuses, and uncreative, old ones for that matter, than for them to get their bottoms up off the couch. Seems like 60% of Americans would rather be chubby than have lots of muscles.

"People do not lack strength; they lack will." ~Victor Hugo

We've read that 9 out of 10 people who go on diets fail. Boy, that's a nice, convenient obstacle too, isn't it? It's like 'why even try' or 'what's the point of even starting, then?'

However, it is NOT the diets that fail. What's missing isn't the right food, the best diet pill or even the most effective workout. What is missing is WILL. If we have the will, we're not going to let ANYTHING get in our way.

"Where there's a will, there's a way." ~Unknown

In essence, let nothing get in the way.
Nothing.
No myths.
No misconceptions.
And no excuses.

What WILL it take for you to let go of that fear of getting bulky and be WILLING to get fit?

Talk to ya later,
Kimberly

No comments: